Tuesday, November 11, 2014

If I only Had Time...

There are many things I'd love to learn to do.  Sky dive, scuba dive,  drive a race car.  But those are pipe dreams.  There are a few more that are a bit more realistic. 

I've always wanted to learn how to throw a clay pot.  Martina of Pottery Heaven on Etsy has this skill down to a science.  She make wonderful mugs, unity sets, and pendants, using her skill as a potter.  I have worked with clay only once and that was in high school.  I had a large bowl using the coil method but throwing a pot on a wheel is a dream I have.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to learn, right now so I can only admire those who have the time and skill to do this wonderful work.

This Pillar Candle Holder is an example of her work.


Another thing I'd love to try is using alcohol inks to paint on polymer clay.  Valerie from Valeris's Stuff on Etsy does some beautiful work using this technique.  I work with polymer clay but have never tried this technique.  Her pieces are gorgeous and I'm going to have to try this out for myself, but for now I will just have to admire her wonderful pieces.

I particularly like this piece called A Stand of Trees Pendant .  I can definitely see the trees in the swirl of color.
Some day I will get around to doing all the things I'd love to learn but for now I will just admire the work of those who have mastered them and enjoy their beautiful work.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you! ... And I'm with you - I want to throw pots too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to work with wheel-thrown pottery some day, too. I especially love the glazing part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great that we can appreciate the work of other artists? Maybe someday you will have a chance to learn the skill of pottery, working with the wheel, glazing and firing. In the meantime, enjoy the work of those who have mastered the skills that you admire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wholeheartedly, Nancy. I would so enjoy working with clay ceramics, but large kilns are not in my budget ;( I try my hand at almost anything in polymer clay, but time is what keeps me from getting them to market. I guess we are all in the same boat ... our clocks are running too fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My high school didn't have a kiln, so even though I took 4 years of art, I was never able to learn how to throw a clay pot on a wheel. It's something I've always admired and wanted to learn how to do.

    The alcohol inks would be a new technique I've never seen before. It looks really interesting. It reminds me a bit of how you can use rubbing alcohol in conjunction with a sharpie to tie-dye t-shirts, which can be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete